Monday, May 21, 2018

Keep An Eye Out For The "Soldiers and Serpents" RPG

One of the great things about conventions is that I run into people I would never meet anywhere else. Sometimes I'm on a panel with them, sometimes we meet at signing tables, and a lot of the time I just stop by their booth in the dealer's hall and ask them to tell me about themselves, and what they're making. Which is how I met David Taylor II, and how I heard about his game Soldiers and Serpents.


Based on this seriously metal book series, which you should check out!
The short version, for folks who haven't read the book series, is that you're in one of the most epic events in the history of creation. The Thronist angels are throwing down with Lucifer and his rebels, and there is betrayal and bloodshed on every side! The war for creation, for the very Realm, has begun. The question is what will your part be in this great war? And what will your actions mean for the Realm?

Why Should I Check This Out?


If you're like most gamers, chances are you already have a layout of games that you know you like. With so many other options out there, why should you try this one?

Well, first off, it has a rich mythology to draw on. If you've ever played Scion or Exalted, then you're probably familiar with the kind of tone that will be going on. However, this game is more card-based than it is die-based (though there are still dice, so don't put the bags away yet). In the open beta, every player chooses one of the four characters, which each come with a power set, light sides, and dark sides. You also have a consequence deck. When the DM presents you with a scenario, every player can pick an appropriate power, and roll a die to see if it works. If you roll high enough (d8 for light powers, d12 for dark ones), you succeed. If you don't, though, you can draw from the consequence deck to add to your pool. This may grant you success, but at a cost. The consequences you pulled are added into your narration, this giving every player the ability to contribute to the story in a meaningful way. Especially since some actions come with corruption, and that can alter the course of where a character might otherwise be going.

And it doesn't cost you anything to check out, which is another bonus.

Seriously, it's worth a gander.
Of course, given that this game was designed by such a talented author, in partnership with an experienced game designer (Eric Simon, who was behind the Steamscapes setting for Savage Worlds, Rockalypse for Fate, as well as being an accomplished author himself), the result is a unique, interesting product that is not your average RPG. So if you've been looking for something different, I highly recommend you give the open beta a look.

For more on David Taylor II, check out his Amazon author page! You should also take a gander at Four-in-Hand Games on Facebook, as well as on Drive Thru RPG.

That's all for this week's Moon Pope Monday update! I do my best to share up-and-coming stuff folks will enjoy, so if anyone tries out this beta and loves it (or hates it, I suppose) leave your story in the comments. For more by yours truly, check out my Vocal archive, and stop by the YouTube channel Dungeon Keeper Radio where I help out from time to time. If you want to stay on top of all my releases, then follow me on Facebook, Tumblr, and Twitter. Lastly, if you want to help support me while I keep bringing news and content straight to you, consider Buying Me A Ko-Fi, or tossing some change into The Literary Mercenary's Patreon. Either way, sweet swag and my eternal gratitude are yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment